Soaring Spirits International (SSI) provides a positive peer community and research based and relevant virtual and in-person programming infused with a hope-building spirit for widowed people globally. SSI is a secular, inclusive, and life affirming organization that prides itself on deeply appreciating the value of its team and affording them the same level of respect and compassion as SSI participants receive. SSI believes in the transformational power of hope, and intentionally acts as a force for good for widowed people as they rebuild their lives after the death of a spouse or partner.
SSI seeks a collaborative and compassionate onsite Camp Widow Camper Support team member to work under the direction of the Camp Widow Director. This is a volunteer position tasked with responding to campers in need of extra support, validation, and comfort as they move through their Camp Widow event weekend.
- Maintain a calm and supportive manner throughout camp event
- Support campers and volunteers who may need extra TLC with the following interventions: facilitating storytelling, actively listening, and providing emotional support such as validation and empathy
- In conjunction with Camp Widow Director, refer any campers in need of additional support or crisis management to appropriate staff member for follow up and referral
- Set up and maintain and pack up the quiet/breathing room
- Look for campers who are alone, struggling, or in need of a friend while moving throughout camp space
- Lived experience with grief, loss, and bereavement
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Comfort working independently, with a team player mindset
- Professional, patient, and thoughtful with ability to maintain a calm and comforting demeanor
- Detail oriented and reliable
- Ability to multitask
- Interact with SSI staff in accordance with SSI values
- Speak with an SSI voice according to SSI values
- Previous therapy and grief support preferred
- Technologically savvy with experience using WhatsApp or other communication tools
- Work with a compassionate, empathetic, and authentic team of Soaring Spirits staff and volunteers
- Free registration for Camp Widow in the United States where you will be operating in this role
- Receive an SSI email address, SSI staff shirt and name badge
- Make new friends and colleagues
- Increase your confidence in life post-bereavement
SSI strives to be a welcoming and inclusive environment that is committed to creating a diverse workplace. SSI promotes strenuous policies and practices of equal opportunity and diversity, equity, and inclusion. It is SSI’s objective to recruit, hire, and retain the most qualified individuals including those of any race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation or identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status.
This position has been filled. Please check back later.